Arts Council Silicon Valley recognizes the region’s finest creative artists who are seriously committed to developing their art forms and to enriching our community with their exhibits, performances, presentations, and service. Through Artist Laureate awards, we seek to:
- Recognize artistic excellence and impact of our finest local artists
- Provide monetary support to encourage continuing development of their work
- Spotlight the important role individual artists play in contributing to a vibrant and creative community.
Awards and categories:
Artists may apply or be nominated to compete in one of five different categories. One $5,000 laureate prize is awarded in each category. (Any single prize may be split in the case of a tie.) Laureate categories are as follows:
- On The Wall: Art that is affixed to, hung on, or projected on a wall or flat panel/screen. (e.g. drawing, painting, printmaking, collage, 2-dimensional mixed media, photography, film/video/animation …)
- Off The Wall: Free-standing or suspended art that can be viewed from all angles. (e.g. sculpture of all media, kinetic/mobile, installation …)
- On Stage: Art that is performed by the artist for an audience, on a formal or informal stage (e.g. dancing, acting, mime, spoken word, instrumental/vocal performance, conducting …)
- Off Stage: Art that is created or developed by the artist offstage, backstage, or pre-performance (i.e. music composition, choreography, stage directing, stage/set/costume design, all written literary art forms …)
- Emerging Artist: Restricted to early career artists (all genres) who have history of less than two years professional experience in visual, literary or performing arts
A Legacy Laureate recipient is selected by an internal committee on the basis of their lifetime achievement and community impact.
Guidelines and application form for the 2014 Artist Laureate will be posted in August. The following guidelines are for reference only.
Questions? Try checking out the Artist Laureate FAQs!
For further information, please contact:
Audrey Wong | Grants Program Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org | 408-998-2787 ext. 214
Artist Laureate Awards are funded by a “Partners” consortium of funders, including the County of Santa Clara, California Arts Council, The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, and the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
Help power a vibrant arts and culture network in Silicon Valley.
Sign Up for our Newsletter & AlertsFor Email Marketing you can trust